Thursday, May 16, 2013

Breathing Space and Pumpkin Bread

There are three loaves of pumpkin bread baking. A fan is whirring in the background, and I can hear the neighbor mowing. I just pulled a dinner of salmon and brussel sprouts off the grill. I bought the summer's first watermelon today.

This is idyllic.

And I can breathe.

It's time to tell you what has been happening. Such a crazy life, we lead! Full of sundry smallness, but still so overwhelmingly busy to us finite, weak humans.

Two weeks ago, we got a final offer on our house.

Last Thursday, we closed on our house. We had packed up our lives, our baby, and our memories in 8 short days, and moved in with my parents.

Less than twenty-four hours later, Scott Grant, and I flew out to Philadelphia. Scott was interviewing for a position at a Harvest Bible Chapel as Pastor of Ministry Development. We were blown away by the generosity of the church, the wonderful people, and the need in Philly. (More on this later.) So, when they offered him the job on Saturday, we said "yes." And we met our new church family on Sunday (which was also my first mother's day... more on that later). Then we went on a whirlwind housing expedition (and I will talk about this... later! There's just too much fun in the loving details our God showered on us). And left Philly at noon on Monday.

Now we are living at my parents... Moving back in with the parentals isn't necessarily anyone's idea of fun, but I'm so thankful for this time.

I'm thankful that Grant is getting to spend so much time with his wonderful grandparents, before we move 9 hours away. I'm so thankful that I have a loving mama and dad who would be willing to share their home. I'm so thankful that we're all "friends." And although I'm sure there will come a day when we will all be tired of each other, I'm thankful that day is a long time in coming.

So, I'm popping bread in the oven, doing laundry, and enjoying a slight return to normalcy... And I'm just so delightfully glad that we have a God who provides rest. Not just during nap time and on Sunday, but on a Thursday night, after a long day at work, and an evening with many household chores. Because I'm learning that rest is not based on the length of your "to-do" list, but rather in the recognition of peace and joy in the daily graces given by our wonderful Heavenly Father.



*****
Rustic Pumpkin Bread
1 box yellow cake mix
1 can of pumpkin pie filling.

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix together these two (very easy!) ingredients. (There will still be some lumps.) Scrape into a greased bread pan. **optional: sprinkle with raw sugar for a crusty, sugary top.**

Bake at 350 for approximately an hour. Finish time dependent on pan/oven/altitude. Bread is done when knife inserted in the center comes out clean. This is probably the yummiest smelling bread I've ever made.... My hubby requested that we not give it to the neighbors, but eat all 9 loaves ourselves.

Enjoy with chai tea, of course

2 comments:

  1. Awesome news Courtney! Congrats on the job! Philly will be blessed to have you guys there ministering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super excited for you all. Sounds terrific! Praise the Lord that He is faithful. :-) And as to your recipe....try it also with a spice cake. Amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete