Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Silent, but Not Still (part 2)

I am so excited about our new church family in Philadelphia. They showered blessing upon blessing on us during our brief weekend, and every day was full of countless courtesies that made us feel loved by these brothers and sisters in Christ that we had never met.

We arrived Friday evening.
Had a lovely dinner (with a crying baby, who fell asleep under the table, despite the horrid waiter that kept crashing plates down right above where he was sleeping).
And then Grant and I slept and lounged and dozed in the hotel room all Saturday morning while Scott interviewed.

Scott is amazing. Probably the best husband/pastor/man out there. (He's also a really good kisser, but I doubt they care about that...) So the church offered him the job. Saturday morning.

While Scott was going through the interview process, I was cuddled under a downy comforter, listening to my baby snore, and idly flipping through my Bible, wondering what I should read next...

And I got a feeling.

Now, I must be honest. I was raised by two amazing Christian people. I have gone to one of the best churches on God's good green earth for seventeen years. And through all those years of teaching, I imbibed a skepticism for the "speaking of the Spirit." I believe the Holy Spirit is living and active. I also believe that the Word of God is complete, and that God is not adding to it through direct revelation. So, rather than leave room for the possibility of the Holy Spirit nudging someone along, I, in my black-and-white mind, completely ruled out the possibility that any thought or encouragement could come from the Holy Spirit.

Then I married Scott.

In his own words, he had his "flakey" days, when he lived in the ditch opposite mine: the "open-your-Bible-and-point" and suddenly God's will is revealed. Although he didn't live there any more (and hasn't for quite a few years!), he brought a certain tolerance and "activeness" to the role of the Holy Spirit into my life.

Which is why I listened to this "feeling".... And flipped to Joshua, chapter one. 

In my head, I began to think it out... "Yes, Scott is a Joshua. He is not Moses. He was not the first leader. He did not have to tackle the wilderness of church-planting. But now, he's going in to "conquer the land." He's got lots of battles ahead of him..."

And then I read... 

I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.
Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Why am I strong and courageous... because the Lord will never forsake me. He will be with me wherever I go.

Even Philadelphia.

God is here. He promised. 

May his promises be my meditation.

Scott burst through the door, excited to tell me about his job offer... and I was prepared to excitedly rejoice with him. New city. New church. New people. New place... Same God. Silently working, and sometimes giving me a nudge towards the truth that I need.



(to be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment