Monday, August 6, 2012

So, we were prepping for our Sunday School lesson.

Scott and I are Sunday school veterans (I think we have a combined number of 25+ years serving with kids), but this summer has stretched us beyond our comfort zones. It has tested the bounds of our teaching abilities. It has demanded that we scale unseen, unknown heights, and press through Sunday school struggles hitherto unknown to us.

We're teaching preschoolers.

It sounds easy enough. Especially if you love kids. (And we do.) Especially if you have a world of teaching experience. (We like to think we do.) And especially if you have a very clear, cut philosophy of children's ministry (and that's a soapbox we practically live on).

However, preschoolers challenge all of the above.

I don't know what to do with them... They need to go to the bathroom all the time. It's impossible to have a snack time without someone drowning all of their goldfish in their cup of water. And your story must be 7 minutes long (max) with pictures, actions, and silly voices.

I teach 4 and 5 year olds.

Scott teaches 3 year olds.

(I know. I lucked out.)

So, this past week, we were discussing the upcoming story: Rahab hiding the two spies.

I'm chatting about how we're going to role play the story, how our craft should be a verse on a braided red rope (just like the sign that Rahab lowered down to save her family), and how we would talk about how God protected both Rahab and the spies.

I turn to Scott, "Honey, what are you going to do with your three year olds?"

He pauses for a moment and then says, "I think I'll explain the terms 'brothel' and 'prostitute.' I think they need to know that it was a clever move for the spies to go to Rahab's, because the city would have been used to seeing strange men go into her house."*

mbcb105_resize.gif


Moral of the story: review your child's Sunday school lesson with them. You never know what they might be learning...



*NOTE: The 3 year old class did not learn about brothels, prostitutes, and strange men. They were just informed of the story's basics. My husband is a good teacher. Promise.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I teach two year olds at church, which is even more challenging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed this post and now I'm sitting here laughing like a crazy hyena!

    ReplyDelete