Saturday, January 11, 2014

Frosted Window Panes... and plenty of presents! {Christmas 2013}

We had a simply glorious Christmas.

Scott's parents and sister drove in from Michigan. I still can't get over how willing our families are to make such a long trip in order to see us! We've had visitors every single month since we've moved to Philly, and you won't hear me complaining.

My Uncle Scott, a pilot based in Philly, also was able to have a 24 hour leave, and he spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with us. Of course, I didn't get any pics of him with his "great nephew," but we were thrilled that he was willing to join in our family festivities.

Harvest Bible Chapel-Philadelphia had their first Christmas Eve service this year, and my hubby was able to share the gospel with over 100 people on that special night. I cried, as he painted a picture of the wonderful rest and forgiveness that Christ offers. I continue to pray that God used that night, that moment, those words, to grow seeds of repentance in people in the audience. For me, it was an excellent reminder that behind all the glitter, brown paper packages, and family banter, there's a wonderful peace and joy in my life because of God's sacrifice and consistent love. Christmas was glorious, because I was able to rest in my Savior. What joy.

And now, pictures... Because nothing else captures Christmas so very well.

One of the five churches in our two-block radius. We had an "ice day" with Daddy, and enjoyed a down-day before the craziness of the season took off.
We were visited by an ice storm right before Christmas. It was gorgeous. Although, the homeless man watching me take this picture told me I was being stupid and that a branch was going to come crashing down on my head...
Someone loves icy walks with Daddy.

Christmas decor is up!

I don't think there were quite enough presents. (And yes, that is a push-broom handle. Scott's present from Trevor.)

I have a weakness for mantles around Christmas. I just think they demand to be made up in style. I blame it on the previous two generations of women before me and their impeccable mantle-pieces.

The tiniest of my four nativities, with yet another beautiful church in the background. We're surrounded by beautiful, but dead religion in our neighborhood. It makes me happy/sad.

I have a weakness for brown paper packages. In fact, this year, I wrapped with nothing else. I also liberally spread glitter throughout our entire house. "Glitter: the herpes of the craft world"--according to my husband.

Although I know people bemoan taking down the Christmas tree, I think it makes it that much more special if it's only on display for a month. 

The mantle. At night.

This is another infatuation I can chalk up to my grandmother. Her Christmas stairs always looked heavenly. Someday, I'll be just like Barbara. Until then, this is as close as I can get.

Not a stellar picture, but literally the only one I have with even a portion of my uncle in it. I was not good at taking pictures of any person other than my baby... Classic new mom.

Scott, trying out his father's gift of "Doodoo Head." Don't ask. 

Scott and I traditionally don't spend money on each other on Christmas. We try to homemake all our gifts to each other. This was his "humorous" gift from me... According to this article, and our subsequent Meyers-Briggs personality types, my hubby is a beaver, and I am an octopus. We found this so hilarious, that it's been a part of our joking back and forth for several months now.

Scott wrote me a fairy tale, complete with illustrations. It humorously (and then poignantly) talked about our relationship, and addressed my recent phobia of getting old. I laughed and then cried. I have a hubby I don't deserve.

Grant with Auntie Sarah. She was the ONLY person who obeyed my "toys that don't make noise" rule. And she was duly rewarded by Grant loving his blocks more than any other toy.

Helping Daddy as he begins the yearly tradition of cutting toys out of boxes. Classic Dad job.

Grant loves his new bath toys, and "Roland the Hedgehog" is his favorite. 

His very own "choo-choo." Every boy needs one.

We still haven't fully grasped the concept of unwrapping presents.

It was a lovely Christmas. And adorable little Bets, although she didn't make an appearance, and appeared contented to flip around in Mommy's belly, was also very generously gifted. Every Christmas serves to remind me of what a generous family I have (on both sides!). I'm so thankful for parents who have taught Scott and I to love sacrificially, and who continue to lavish love, even when their parenting job is "done."

No comments:

Post a Comment