Tuesday, September 22, 2015

When Peace Is Refining


God, you have brought me to a place of peace. Here, as I listen to the waves crash and the wind ruffles my hair, I am resting and happy.

Thank you.


Too often I acknowledge the angst, the pain, and the fight you've created for me. Frequently, church culture expects me to say, "I am struggling" instead of saying "I am blessed." It's as though we believe that holiness is only refined struggle. That holiness cannot be honed when I am rested.


But right now, I sit in your peace. I rest in your beauty. I bask in your vacation. You created "the change of pace." You brought the good of nature, beauty, and relaxation into my life.


And here my holiness can also explode.


If I look at your face. If I don't demand ease. If I don't grab at satisfaction. If I rest. 


I can see you. 

Battles teach me your sovereignty. Vacations teach me your tranquility.


And so my prayer now is that I would not glorify pain as the only means to you. I want to see you in the quiet. I want to praise you in my peace. Let my face be lifted to yours. Show me beauty in the quiet happiness. Protect me from selfish entitlement. May praise for the God of my Sabbath rise from my heart and lips.


May I join with the ocean. "He is good."






No comments:

Post a Comment