Friday, June 1, 2012

Tired of Tired

It happens almost every evening. Five o'clock. I'm driving home. All day long I've been dreaming and planning what I'm going to do this evening. If I had some down-time over lunch, I probably concocted a beautifully organized, prioritized to-do list.



But as I'm driving home, my motivation wains. The exhaustion of the day comes rushing in. The adrenaline that got me through 7 patients and piles of paperwork suddenly ebbs. And I'm left with mind-numbing fatigue.

I know why it's there. It's the perfect concoction of a high-stress job and a low iron count. I'm anemic. I battle chronic stomach problems. And I run hard in a pressure-cooker job all day. (Which I love, I promise!)

But knowing why it's there ("Remember, Courtney, you're anemic and it was a long day.") is still a long way from resting in that state. I know why I'm tired, but that doesn't mean that I am resigned to this feeling. It doesn't mean that I greet it with grace. It doesn't mean that mentally, every evening, I smile, sigh, and delight in the health that I do have.

Au contrair. It means that many nights my husband has to put up with frustrated whining as I come face-to-face with my own inadequacy.

Because that's what this is. This isn't about my to-do list or my stomach.

This is about my pride and self-sufficiency. This is about my ability to manipulate and control my world.  It's about not allowing my to-do list to become my source of identity.

For some strange, unknown reason, God saved me, and loves me, regardless of my to-do list. My identity is as his child. I am His. That is all.

My prayer mimics those of the Puritan fathers:

"The thought of thine infinite serenity cheers me,
For I am toiling and moiling, troubled and distressed...
I come to thee as a sinner with cares and sorrows,
to leave every concern entirely to thee,
every sin calling for Christ's precious blood...
Grant me to know that I truly live only when I live to thee,
that all else is trifling.
Thy presence alone can make me holy, devout, strong, and happy.
Abide in me, gracious God."

May I do one things today: rest in my Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment