Thursday, March 29, 2012

Joy... Through Gratitude

Okay, so joy’s not dependent on circumstances, and these trials are useful in conforming us to Christ (who was also tested…). But what brings joy?
Here’s where I love to turn to Philippians. Paul mentions “joy” or “rejoicing” 12 times. Outside of the Gospels only II Corinthians has a greater use of this word. (and 2nd Cor. is bigger… So it almost doesn’t count.)

Philippians was written near the end of Paul's life. Church history would suggest that at this point in time, Paul was imprisoned and near death. His execution was closing in. And yet he mentions joy repeatedly. How, in the midst of imprisonment, with death imminent, did Paul display joy?

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.” (Phil. 1:3-5)

Gratitude brings joy.

Constant expression to God and others in thanksgiving for all that He has done and provided results in joy. I love this truth. I have never been in a situation in which I could not find something to be grateful for. God's mercies are truly never-ending.

I remember one time when I was in the hospital while studying joy. I was incredible pain, miserable, and mourning the loss of a baby. Being grateful is not a knee-jerk response in such circumstances. But God is good. He provided the mental discipline. With a cry for help, I began to be thankful:

"I'm thankful that I have morphine. I'm thankful for pain management. I'm thankful I'm not in a third world country. I'm thankful that the sun is shining. I'm thankful for this glass of cold water. I'm thankful that my sheets are clean..."

And once I started, it was almost as though I could not stop. Thankfulness just bubbled up and out, resulting in a peace and joy which pass all understanding.

What are your prayers characterized by? Do you consistently pray in thanksgiving to God? Or is He merely someone we go to when we want something. Are we actively thanking God for those he has placed in our lives? For our circumstances? For blessings? For trials?

Joni Earickson Tada, one of the great women who I consider a spiritual mentor, though I've never met her, said, “I’m grateful for my quadriplegia. It is a bruising of a blessing. A gift wrapped in black. It’s the shadowy companion that walks with me daily, pulling and pushing me into the arms of my Savior…”

Grateful for quadriplegia. Grateful for suffering. Grateful for the small, countless blessings which our Lord provides.

Ingratitude is a thief of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment