Thursday, March 1, 2012

Salted Caramel Goodness

Okay, ladies and gents... This is the most delectable frosting I have ever made. In honor of the wonderful Joseph Blake turning the ripe ol' age of 53, I made a black velvet cake, and loaded it with salted caramel icing. Delectable, and slam-you-upside-the-head sweet, I didn't ice the whole cake. Instead I filled the layers and iced the top.

To cut the sweetness, (and just because I love dark chocolate), I did dark chocolate baking curls over the top of the cake and then drizzled sticky caramel (just 'cause).

Just a word of warning: watch the pot like crazy-cakes while your boiling the sugar. The sugar went from crystal clear, to dark amber in the blink of an eye. Being me, I was busy doing ten other things in the kitchen, and I had several terrifying moments in which I feared I had burnt the yummy sugar concoction. Fortunately, it seems hard to ruin sugar, and everything turned out with elegant, sticky goodness.

Click for (time intentsive, but worth it) recipe: Salted Caramel Goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment