Saturday, March 17, 2012

Proverbs 17

"The beginning of strife is like breaching a dam, so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out." (Proverbs 17:14)

We were all homeschooled. That means that we were all together, all the time. I had two younger brothers and a younger sister (and now another younger sister, but she fortunately did not have to endure all of us going through childhood, puberty, adolescence... you know, growing up).

I would love to portray my family as a paragon of perfection. But then I would be called into account for another lie, and I'd prefer to avoid that.

On our table were little tiny cards with picture clues to help us remember certain verses. This Proverb was one of these verses. The big fat word "Quarrel" was trying to bust its way through a dam. Perhaps it was my mother's engineer-like fascination with dams, but she very clearly communicated what happens when a dam breaks, that coupled with a "major on the majors" view of arguments was ingrained very early on.

By the time we hit high school, all mom would say was, "Starting a quarrel..." and usually the tone of the conversation would shift. The topic wouldn't change, but the style of communication usually took on a much more civil tone. (I stress the word "usually." Once again, we are clearly not perfect children.)

"You stole my jeans!"
"I would like to point out that this was only after you used my new running shoes."
"Starting a quarrel..."
(pause)
"I would prefer you ask before you borrow something."

"You totally made up that story about me!"
"It was funny! People laughed! It wasn't that bad. Sheesh."
"Starting a quarrel..."
"I will try to refrain my stories to true funny stories."

You get the idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment