Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Photo Journal {March 3rd-9th, 2014}

Babies grow so quickly!

Of course, both of mine started smaller and took a little bit longer to catch onto the whole idea of growing... but even with that extra time in babyhood, I'm still amazed at how quickly time passes and how rapidly my babies change!

So, I'm starting something new. It may not last. It probably won't. Consistency is not my strong point, but I'm giving it a try.

I'm combining two goals: 1) more consistent writing, and 2) developing photography skills. I'm doing this through a weekly "photo journal." I'm trying to use my camera on a daily basis and to capture moments of the day with only a handful of words. (Should be interesting. Brevity in writing is another weakness.)

March 3rd
Today the in-laws left... We've had help with the two babies for almost 5 weeks. That's unbelievable. I can't believe how blessed I am in my parents and how loved my precious little babies are.

In other news, Grant had his first donut today! He loved it. (Proof once again that he was meant to be our son--deep fried goodness is a mutual love.) Grandpa Keith introduced him to a blueberry cake donut. Grant, in his glee, pulverized the majority of his donut, but a large majority still managed to make it into his mouth!

March 4th
It was our first full day officially "solo." I honestly wasn't too fazed by the idea. Poor Grandma Marcia had been very sick for 3 days during her stay, so I had gotten a taste of what a day without help was going to be like. Parenting two children, ages one and under, just means you adjust your expectations. Today, I had a hot dinner for the hubby, the house was picked up, and I did one load of laundry. We'll call that an epic success.

(But there is no pic for this day... once again, adjusting expectations. "Super Mom" looks different at different stages.)

March 5th
This morning Scott had a counseling case. Bets has been ravenous lately (and yet she stays so small!), and Grant had just adjusted to having an afternoon nap instead of a morning nap, so I wasn't going to mess that up... So, instead of the babies napping while I sat in with Scott, we went upstairs to play (and eat), while he continued counseling. 

Grant has learned that when Bets cries,
we put things in her mouth. Here he
is attempting to soothe her with a bottle
of baby shampoo. Mommy quickly intervened.
He's a very considerate big brother. He takes frequent
breaks from playing to come check on her. And whenever
she cries, he rushes over to pat her head and find her
pacifier. She, in return loves him, and even his most brutal "love
pats" make her smile. She doesn't cry if Grant is looking at her.


To pass the time, we made our very first tent-fort!

But of course, it was more fun to turn toothbrush holders into
musical instruments than it was to play in the fort.

Bets is a very chill baby. As long as she knows that people
are nearby, she'll nap peacefully in the sunshine.

March 6th
We took our first "run" today! Mommy is woefully out of shape, and all she had to wear were too-big pregnancy yoga pants... so every couple steps we had to slow-down to "adjust" the pants! It was only a short run, the weather was still chilly, I was out of shape, and the babies weren't entirely sure if they liked the stroller, but getting out of the house was glorious. I'm so thankful for this double stroller gift from both sets of grandparents! I plan on taking it to church, so that I can navigate diaper bags, babies, snacks, and a large church foyer  without loosing my cool (or sweating off my make-up).

March 7th
Once again, a day with no picture. And in all honesty, I remember almost nothing about this day... Other than the fact that I was super-excited that we got to go to bed at 8 p.m. We watched an episode of "Numbers" while I fed Bets, and then fell asleep. This elation over an early bedtime probably means I'm old before my time.

March 8th
Our first ever "Family Fun Day!" or, as we called them pre-babies, "A Great Explore." Scott scheduled a family day for this day... so nothing else was to take over. I'm so thankful for hubby that's very intentional in his loving of his wife and children. For breakfast, Scott made us all waffles with Maple-Peach compote. We then packed up the babies and headed to Valley Forge! I still can't get over the fact that I live less than 15 minutes from so much history... I love this country. And I love being in the cradle of her liberty. I can't wait to explore more and more as the kiddies grow!
The men... quite happy in their exploration of some historic remains.
Grant still isn't sure if he likes strollers, but he loves being carried around by Dad.

Bets and I "cuddled" the whole walk with the help of our Moby. (It's ahhhhhmazing!)
The weather was perfect, and walking alongside the river, through the trees, you could
almost feel spring arriving.
Scott then took me to a music store to buy viola strings. With a high-pressure job and a costly adoption, playing the viola has taken the back seat. But as of today, I have new strings! I can't wait to brush up on my (very rusty) skills! 

We had another treat.... eating out at Wendy's for lunch, and after we got home, Scott sent me upstairs to nap. Such an amazing day! Can't wait for our next "Great Explore"!

March 9th
Another day with no picture. **sigh**

I will get better at this!

This was our first Sunday at church as a family of four. We arrived 45 minutes early, I got to enjoy about 15 minutes of worship before Bets needed to eat, and it was so lovely to see all the wonderful church family that have loved us so well during this transition. I sometimes feel like the "invisible pastor's wife." Since coming out here, I've been sick, and then had a baby. Neither of these are conducive to getting plugged in and serving, but our church family has been so gracious. Can't wait for next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment