Saturday, January 31, 2015

What Am I Doing At Church?

It's quiet.

I stand there, in the dim auditorium, waiting quietly. I'm trying to still the thoughts that keep cluttering my mind, "did I start the crockpot? I wonder if she'll scream the entire time she's in nursery? I really need to catch them after the service and ask them...." Fighting for a quiet soul. I am about to join something cosmic. Something eternal. Something massive.

Quietly, the music begins and truth flashes across my mind.

There. In my row. At our tiny church, I'm ready to leap into a symphony of praise.

As I sing, my voice is shouting eternal truths about an eternal God, my finite voice is joining others. Countless Christians, in different churches, neighborhoods, states, countries, continents, are praising God in a glorious, multi-language cacophony.

I cling to promises, gripping my hands together, struggling to remember these truths are true, and I join saints through the ages who have bled, and fought, and died in faithful belief in the true character of their God.

I raise my hands, and my small gesture joins the shooting stars, the towering mountains, and the whirling galaxies as I proclaim that my God is king.

When I sing, shoulder to shoulder, joined with people in our church, we are not one tiny meeting. We are part of the massive, eternal church of Christ. And together with all the saints, we are shouting into the darkness of this world, "Our God is glorious! Our God is worthy! Our God is King!" And into the darkness, a glorious light shines forth.

Because when I get up on Sunday morning. When I rush through getting ready. When the kids won't eat their oatmeal, and I can't find a pair of tights without a hole, and my coffee isn't ready in time, and there are classes to teach, and rooms to set up, and people to help....

I forget what I'm doing at church.

I'm joining a massive symphony of praise to my God.

May the brilliance of God's glory radiate from us.



No comments:

Post a Comment