Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I'm Not Thirsty Enough

I will try, as I process, sort, and dwell on the truths of this week, to pass on some of the amazing truths I've been digesting. I love the power and energy that comes from the sharing and receiving of God's grace and truth. 

But beyond all of that, beyond the amazing applications of truth, the life-changing power of His Word, there's something else I've learned. 

You see, here's the deal: I'm not a water drinker. In fact, as I child I hated being made to drink a glass of water. So I just wouldn't do it. (Until my mother forced some down me.) 

So when I was told to pant for The Lord as if he was living water, I nodded in a general sense and moved on. When I was to taste and see that The Lord is good, I agreed. At least mentally. I AGREED, but the cracked, parched feeling, the longing for truth was rarely  felt. 

A funny thing happens when you make yourself drink water. At first, you walk around feeling like a waterlogged shoe: clunky, soggy, and heavy. It's miserable. Then, after a couple days, maybe even a week it two, if you keep drinking the water, that heavy sloshing goes away, and you get thirsty. Crazy-desperate thirsty. Even if you're drinking the same amount, you want more. You realize that you need more. 

That has been this conference in a nutshell. Several weeks ago, I walked away from technology and empty (not bad, just empty!) time fillers. I asked to see God. And my thirst has exploded. 

Here I am, sitting for over 6 hours a day, soaking in truth after truth after truth, and I WANT MORE. My heart yearns for more time in God's Word, more time in his presence, more prayer, more praise, more weeding out of sin, more confessing. 

I entered this week, mildly satiated with my level of God. I was thirsty, sure, but I wasn't dying. I wasn't panting. I wasn't experiencing an intense, constant craving. 

Oh, Lord, may this thirst only grow. Make me desperate. This is where I want to be. 

On the glorious splendor of your majesty,and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds,and I will declare your greatness. They shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodnessand shall sing aloud of your righteousness. (Ps. 145:5-7) 

But for me it is good to be near God... (Ps. 73:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment